15 March 2006

Wednesdays are for Wish Lists

Star light
Star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may
I wish I might
Have the wish I make tonight
- Traditional childern's rhyme

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you
- Jiminy Cricket, from Pinocchio

If wishes were horses,
Beggars would ride.
If turnips were watches,
I would wear one by my side.
- Traditional Rhyme

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.
- Proverb

"And did you really have the three wishes granted?" asked Mrs. White.
"I did," said the seargent-major, and his glass tapped against his strong teeth.
"And has anybody else wished?" persisted the old lady.
"The first man had his three wishes. Yes, " was the reply, "I don't know what the first two were, but the third was for death. That's how I got the paw."
- The Monkey's Paw, by W. W. Jacobs

Wish is the mightiest spell a wizard or sorcerer can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter reality to better suit you. Even wish, however, has its limits.
- Dungeons and Dragons, 3rd Edition Player's Handbook

Willy Wonka: But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he he always wanted.
Charlie Bucket: What happened?
Willy Wonka: He lived happily ever after.

- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Arthur Dent: You know, it's at times like this, when I'm stuck in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
Ford Prefect: Why? What did she tell you?
Arthur Dent: I don't know! I didn't listen!

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 1981 miniseries

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home