08 June 2006

The things we do for catchen

It occured to me this morning, as I was taking a quick, and thus shallow, bath that my life is possibly overtly catchen oriented.

Matisse and Picasso love drinking out of the tub, making it necessary for me to buy nontoxic labelled cleaning products and hoping that they don't get poisioned. And of course Matisse sleeps in the sink continually as his protest continues, so I have to worry about what his fur gets in contact with there also.

No, I don't think that's doing too much for the catchen.

What got me started on pondering the catchenalism of my life was that Picasso was delicately pawing at my hair with claws extended as I lay there in the tub, which was clear Picassoese for "catstaff, the level of water in this tub is too low for me to drink out of. Cup your palms and bring me water!" And as I obliged him, I couldn't help but think this is so messed up, not that I stopped what I was doing.

They infuritate me sometimes, and sometimes I'd like to punt one or another of them, but I know without a doubt they are worth every cent I have spent on them in the last month.

And so I wish I could buy Matisse a bowl, so he will stop searching and protesting. And possibly so I can wash my hands and brush my teeth without it being a contest, but really, that's secondary. I want him to be fully happy. Isn't that funny?

And I hope for a scratching post soon because the Picasso, he likes the new sofa. Noooooooooooooooo. Does anyone have scratching post training advice? I want him to love the post. A lot more than the sofa.

And the baba, she is grumpy and grouchy and depressed. I want to do something for her but I don't know what.

I have learned it's often better to change my own behavior than to try to bend the catchen to my will, thus why the yarn is never left strewn around, because it will be drooled on faster than you can say Matisse.

Which doesn't explain why I readily accede to Picasso's demand for hand-cupped water in the tub.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hmmm... Definitely a point to think on, for me, too! Heh, when I think of all the adaptations I've made... and they don't even seem odd to me anymore. Maybe that's why it's best not to have people over!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Hah! They rule us, and they know it!!

We got a scratching post for our catchen when we discovered they'd been using a box of books as a substitute (ouch), and the best thing I found for getting them interested in it was catnip spray. I just got it from a local pet store - you spray it over the new post, and they luuurve it.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home