22 June 2006

Of Picassos and Llamas

Oh. I'm tired. But it was a good day all the way around, even though my lungs have developed a tasty layer of slime in the last 24 hours and the cough is worse than it was last week, which sort of sucks monkey rocks given the weekful of antibiotics I've ingested. On the other hand, I don't feel like death warmed over, and the sinuses feel pretty good if I stay inside.

Which may or may not be at odds with the pursuit of more yarn a job. But I digress.

I had the interview, and it went great! The woman seemed impressed with me and had great questions and a good sense of humor, and we laughed over my lack of voice. See, I'd asked for a interpreter even though I could have managed without one because even if I could lipread the person, my voice is pretty much shot. Hopefully I'll hear back from her soon!

And it's always good to pretend to have a good sense of humor over the BEING SICK FOR FIVE MONTHS thing. Ahem.

Anyway, here's a picture of the bag that ate Champaign-Urbana! I hope Mary likes it. Well, when I finish the strap and all. The strap will take as long as the bag itself did if I continue to knit it at the rapid pace I'm doing, which is like, a pathetic foot or so. In the last 36 hours.


I had slightly more fun with the Cascade Pastaza bag, you see... Yesterday I knit the last 10 rows I needed to make on it, and then added the straps to it that I'd wisely knit a looooooong time ago. The next strapped bag I make may or may not begin with the strap as opposed to the bag body because then I'd get the crappy part done first and get to have the high of casting off and felting all in the same day!


I don't know why the strap last is so bad but it is. It really is. I am so lame.

But yesterday, on the hottest day of the week, I went ahead and felted the bag in two runs through the hot hot hot washer in the hot hot nonairconditioned laundry room and created this:



I'm not sure if I feel like the bag is "done".... Does it need something? But what?

Picasso would say that the bag neeeeeeeeeeds him, because it's made of 50% llama yarn and the Picasso, he loves the llama yarn muchly and wants to make out with it and lick it and snuggle it and sleep with it. And call it George.

But I'm not looking for quite that kind of accessory when going outside, so I'm guessing that the Picasso option is out.

Anyone have any ideas? I do have half a ball left of the matching main color yarn.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Janine said...

I see what you mean about does it need "something" It depends what sort of statement you want to make. If you want to go down the Boho style route how about a felted flower or two with some snazzy beads in the centre in a contrast colour. Or, if you want it to be sort of chic and modern how about pining a snazzy broach on it?

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

I agree with Jasmine, I was thinking a felted flower, too.
It looks great, I love how you did the carry handle. Clever!

4:53 AM  
Blogger limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Glad the interview went well. I love the bags, especially the clean, simple lines of George. Vintage buttons or ribbon might work... though I like the brooch suggestion above best. : )

7:11 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Glad the interview went well, but not glad to hear that you're still sick. :(

Excellent bags, but I really, really like George (albeit not as much as Picasso). Very cool way the straps run through the body!

Hmm, do you have some sort of decorative pin? That might do the trick - at least it would give you an idea of whether you want to add a flower or not

7:58 AM  
Anonymous katie said...

Perhaps a cat pin, in honor of Picasso wanting to come along with the bag?

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anne said...

How about weaving some ribbon through the straps and all the way around so it has both horizontal and vertical lines?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Sunidesus said...

Hello *waves*

I linked here from Wendy Knits and read back through your archives a ways 'cuz you looked interesting... and now I have to leave you a comment to say "Hi!" and let you know that you've been blogrolled :)

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Mary! said...

My bag is gorgeous. I love the blue one too, but my bag is GORGEOUS. I am going to be the hit of the campus this season!

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home