17 May 2006

Wednesdays are for Wish Lists

DYEORAMA! Did you know I'd signed up? Apparently not, because I never got around to announcing it... I am a terrible blogger. Or something.

Hm. If you read through this, I might put an insanely cute picture of a wee little Picasso at the end. Think that'll be worth it? I think so too.

Your favorite colors?

Honestly? Everyone dies a little death when I say this, but white. But yes, I love how it counterpoints to every other color in creation. Other favorites are hot pink, cobalt blue, aqua, deep crimson, lavender, grey, almost any blue.

That being said, I don't like yellow. I don't like orange. I only knit with them for other people. The end.


Preferred yarn weight (Fingering, Sport, DK, maybe even Worsted)?

I don't mind, really, any weight. Every weight, every yarn has its own surprises and challenges, and I like that. If you need specifics, something I can use with my US 2s would be greatly appreciated.

Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn?

Anything! Somewhat solid, solid, multicolored, variegated, striped, yadda yadda.


If your buddy is able to do so, would you like a variegated, self-striping, or self-patterning yarn?

Surprise me!


Would you be interested in a wool blend sock yarn (nylon, tencel, silk, acrylic, alpaca, etc.)?

I am violently allergic to latex, so nothing with elastic or lycra in it please. I cannot touch the stuff even for five seconds, so knitting it is not an option, either. Other than that, hey, whatever.


Imagine the perfect colorway. What would you name it?

The pressure! The pressure!

White/cobalt blue/grey/the faintest hint of aqua or teal = bellamoden

leaf green/purple/hot pink = Verde

brown/grey/purple/white = Picasso's Hippo

red/brown/cream = Matisse's Bowl

aqua/lavender/white/grey = baba

hot pink/white/brown/a hint of denim = Peppermint Patty

aloe green/denim blue/cream/white/lavender/crimson = Spring Street

Can you tell I really like color combinations?


What was the biggest appeal to you for joining this dye-along?

Forcing me to embrace an experience I would otherwise only think about.


Have you dyed yarn/fiber before?

Nope!


Do you spin?

No. I'm not sure I really need to go down that rabbit hole.


Have you knit socks before?

I sure have!


Do you use sock yarn for just socks or in other patterns too?

I haven't yet, but I am strongly considering making some shawls or scarves with sock yarn.


What are some of your favorite yarns?

Manos del Uruguay. Cascade Pastaza. Koigu. I am highly partial to single-stranded yarns, or those with variegated thicknessess. Or both. Or amazing colors. Or sproinginess.


What yarn do you totally covet?

Sundara Yarn, Sunshine Yarns, Black Bunny, Cabin Cove, Scout's Knitted Swag, Brooklyn Handspun (chocolate covered cherries! YES!)


Favorite patterns?

How to narrow this down?!? I basically love anything Wendy Bernard, Alison Hansel, or Wendy D. Johnson make. I also love Anna Bell's designs, and would love her Bridie. Since I have none of Wendy Bernard's patterns, I would say I would love to make Something Red, Essential Stripe, or Fad Classic. In that order. I also love Bonne Marie Burns's patterns. I love many of Rowan's more classic designs, and am currently tempted by Crinkle.


Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object?

A Koigu shawl or sweater, especially the Koigu sweater in Wendy Knits. Or a Manos full sized blanket, complete with pillow shams. Or a Rowan design. Any of the sweaters I listed.


Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)?

For socks? Definitely Addi Turbo two circs. For other things, it depends. I love Addi and use them for a lot of things, but I also have Boye straights which I like just for the tactileness, and wish I could find Addi straights for the same reason. I also have Lantern Moon straights in ebony and rosewood, which are utterly delicious.


If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be?

Manos. Manos. Manos.


Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack?

I love chocolate. Any chocolate, pretty much.


What’s your favorite animal?

Gee, I wonder.


Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages?

Cat cat cat cat cat cat cat! Okay. Only cat cat cat. baba, who is 16, Matisse, who is 4, and Picasso who is 2.


If you were a color what color would you be?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. White? Cobalt blue? White? Cobalt blue?

Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s)..

A crisp cotton buttondown blouse, with perfectly pressed collar and cuffs, 3/4 sleeved, with a neckscarf accompanying it.


What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature?

Any picture of catchenage is always a winner with me. I also love pictures of flowers, and just anything that focuses on texture. For myself, as a photographer, my photographs are of memorials or other manmade things against things in nature, and looking at how the two interact. I should post some of those pictures later.



Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read.

Wenn du dein ganzes Leben lang glucklich sein willst, musst du guten Freunden haben.


Do you have a wishlist?

Every Wednesday I list some here, hee. And yes, I do definitely have an Amazon wishlist.


Anything else you’d like to share with the group today?

I am a voracious reader of design books, and love interior design very much. Aesthetics and porportions mean a lot to me, and part of me would really like very much to go to design school.


And here's baby! Picasso!


baby! picasso!, originally uploaded by Frarochvia.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The cuteness! The cuteness! My eyes!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Aargh! The cuteness! such a beautiful kitten!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the answers to the dye-o-rama questions! I hope to dye your yarn by the middle of next week. Happy day! Your dye-o-rama pal

11:54 AM  
Blogger Mr. Sandman said...

You *should* go to design school-- I'm still impressed with what you did with your studio apartment. Still. Impressed.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home