24 March 2006

E is for Europe



I know I'm behind in the whole ABC Along thing. It's not that I didn't remember to do it, or that I didn't know what to talk about, but frankly it was because it was hard, is hard, to ecapsulate the whole Europe thing into one small thing.

I could put up trite postcards and paste pictures of my travels that I think were pretty darn cool, or tell you stories of how it was to walk down the Kurfurstendamm in Berlin, through Zlata Ulica in Prague, sit in Rynek Glowny in Krakow, walk along the train tracks at Auschwitz, or to look down at the flat terrain of Pest while standing on the castle hill of Buda in Budapest.

I could show you my glass ball, swirled with teal, cobalt blue, and white color within the clear glass, bought in Prague and still holding a place of pride right in front of my monitor, six years later. I could tell you about the massage I got at the Turkish bath in Budapest. I could, I could, I could.

But I can't. None of it gives you the sense that I wish I could give you, that I need to give you. Of all of what I saw, of everything I got, of each piece that I brought back to America to me, those scarves mean the most to me. They don't mean anything to most people, of course, but every time I wear one of these scarves I am transported back to the sights I saw, where I bought the scarf, how I felt wearing it. And it is magical, and it is Europe, for that moment that I smile within and remember.

And that, in its own way, is enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home